Position title: Associate Scientist
330 North Orchard Street
Madison WI 53715
WID Room 2166
- B.S., Chemistry, University of Kansas-Lawrence
- Ph.D.. Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Madison
James Dowell’s research is focused on the application of mass spectrometry-based proteomics to the identification of novel mechanisms of chromatin remodeling. Specifically, Dowell is developing novel proteomics methodologies to identify histone post-translational modifications and decipher their role in chromatin remodeling.
Society for Neuroscience (SFN)
- American Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education Fellow, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2006-2008
- Mern Kier Fellowship in Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2002-2003
- Honors Program, University of Kansas, 1992-1998
- Baeza J., Dowell J.A., Smallegan M.J., Fan J., Amador-Noguez D., Khan Z., Denu J.M. (2014) Stoichiometry of site-specific lysine acetylation in an entire proteome. J. Biol. Chem. 289(31), 21326-21338 [Featured as a JBC Paper of the Week.]
- Dowell, JA. Gitcho, MA. Johnson, DA. Johnson, JA. (2011) Identification of TDP-43 interaction partners by co-immunoprecipitation and mass spectrometry in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease. (In preparation)
- Dowell, JA. Johnson, DA. Johnson, JA. (2011) Quantitative proteomics reveals novel mechanisms of Nrf2-mediated protection against oxidative stress in astrocytes. (In preparation)
- Sturm, RM. Dowell, JA. Li L. (2010) Rat brain neuropeptidomics: tissue collection, protease inhibition, neuropeptide extraction, and mass spectrometric analysis. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;615:217-26.
- Dowell, JA. Johnson, JA. and Li, L. (2009) Identification of astrocyte secreted proteins with a combination of shotgun proteomics and bioinformatics. J Proteome Res, 2009 Aug;8(8):4135-43.
- DeKeyser, S. Dowell, JA. and Li, L. (2009) Mass spectrometric characterization of neuropeptides. Methods Mol Biol, 2009;492:381-93
- Calkins, MJ. Johnson, DA. Townsend, JA. Vargas, MR. Dowell, JA. Williamson, TP. Kraft, AD. Lee, JM. Li, J. Johnson, JA. (2009) The Nrf2/ARE pathway as a potential therapeutic target in neurodegenerative disease. Antioxidants & Redox Signal, 2009 Mar;11(3): 497-508
- Dowell, JA. Frost, D. Zhang, J. and Li, L. (2008) Comparison of two-dimensional fractionation techniques for Shotgun Proteomics. Analytical Chemistry, 2008 Sep 1;80(17):6715-23. [Featured in Journal of Proteome Research on-line news, September 23, 2008]
- Dowell, JA. Vander Hayden, W. and Li, L. (2006) Rat neuropeptidomics by LC/MS/MS and MALDI-FTMS: enhanced dissection and extraction techniques coupled with 2D RP-RP HPLC. Journal of Proteome Research, 2006 Dec, 5(12):3368-75. [Featured in the Research Profile Section of Journal of Proteome Research and Bio Sphere News Section in Analytical Chemistry.]